Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vic Lit Throwdown

It's on, Internet.  

Have you heard of this Victorian Literature Challenge? I hadn't either, until Inspired by Hope tipped me off. If you know me, you know I love me some Victorian literature (and Regency and Elizabethan, etc). The Challenge is to promise to read a certain amount of books from the Victorian era and complete your list by the end of the year. There are categories to choose from, depending on your anticipated reading output.

Since of course I now have to read more books than my pal IbH, I have chosen the Great Expectations category, which requires me to read 5-9 works from the time period. I have chosen the following:

  1. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. I've already started, but only just. It still counts.
  2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Alcott keeps coming up in trivia questions, and I never answer correctly.
  3. Birthmark by Nathaniel Hawthorne. A short story, but it still counts.
  4. Ages Grey by Anne Bronte. I loved Tenant of Wildfell Hall, so presume I will also love this.
  5. Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. This has actually been on my bookshelf (and to-read list) for quite some time.
  6. Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. I've never read any Sherlocke Holmes, and now that I'll picture him as Robert Downey Jr, I should enjoy it all the more.
I was thinking of adding Jane Austen's letters (even though I realize that they are not Victorian), but I think the above will keep me busy enough. Here are the books, sans the Baskervilles, as it hasn't arrived yet (the Hawthorne is in my one of my old English anthologies):





Let the games begin!

4 comments:

  1. Hurray! Thanks for signing up! I've got Hounds of the Baskervilles on my list too. What a lovely looking collection of books you've got there! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany - I think it's going to be a great project. We'll have to discuss Hound once we're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treasure Island down and on to Little Women. Would be further along if it weren't for those darn Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Women down! Agnes Grey down! Boom!

    ReplyDelete